Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Rejections #11 and 12

I'm feeling quite hopeful although I received rejection number 12 today. The agent in question mentioned that I had a deft hand and that my story definitely had publishable potential. Her issue was having the time to dedicate to a new client. In the future though, I still expect to work with this agent, if not on this project, there are so many others.

Moments like these I turn to my booklist. I currently have 17 novels I need to complete, 6 screenplays, 1 poetry book, and 7 or so non-fiction books. This ever expanding list reminds me that I am meant to do this. I'm just waiting for someone to crack open that door an inch, then I'm going to throw it open. The publishing industry isn't ready for Qwantu Amaru yet, but ready or not, here I come!

I made a decision recently to have my manuscript evaluated by Anita Diggs (www.themanuscripteditor.blogspot.com). Anita has worked as a book editor for Random House, Time Warner Trade Publishing and Thunder’s Mouth Press. This was a major step for me as my entire manuscript has only been reviewed in its entirety by one other industry professional in 2006. I eagerly await her feedback on how I can sharpen the story even more.

For the time being, I'm focused on completing my second novel. It feels good to be writing again, not worried about the fate of One Blood. I will be atending the Book Expo America conference at the end of this month. Once there, I will soak up tips, network, and pitch agents. My time is coming and I am hungrier than ever.

"Dear to us are those who love us. . . but dearer are those who reject us as unworthy, for they add another life; they build a heaven before us whereof we had not dreamed, and thereby supply to us new powers out of the recesses of the spirit . . ."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments: